Hi Racers, Kelli here, reporting from an absolutely glorious running of the First Annual Seneca Monster Canoe and Kayak race.
Leading the pack were Schlimmer brothers Ben and Michael, who mastered this 13mile course in only 1:50:30. The Schlimmer boys had a stealthy way of staying up front: they added a chunk of distance to their race by accidentally exiting the water early at the carry. The second place C2 Amateur Men's team, comprised of Tom Yarosh and Bruce Lee (no relation), took it well with their 1:56:35 finish.
Other notable finishers included top C2 Amateaur Women Cathy Grimes and Cathy Lipski. These ladies looked strong during the .5-mile carry, and even stronger in the paddle.
Congratulations to all racers! The out-and-back course offered calm waters and fantastic fall colors along the backdrop of Waterloo and SenecaFalls. It was a quick course and a beautiful paddle! We had a great turn-out for our first year, and look forward to many more!
To see photos, map of the course, or full race results, visit http://www.senecamonster.com.
Since the 200/400 form was posted last week, I've received several emails about being unable to open up the form. I'm guessing since that it's fairly old, some PDF software may be having issues with it.
I sat down and created a new form for those who were unable to fill out the old form or who have not yet filled one out.
There is still time before the deadline!
Looks like there's a new race! Check out the inaugural Seneca Monster Canoe/Kayak Race.
"Join us at Fuzzy Guppies for a flatwater paddling regatta and race on the Seneca-Cayuga canal. This is our inaugural year - please help us create a challenging race on our unique canal system and a sweet paddling adventure for touring paddlers and families."
Update: Race Registration/check in is at 10 AM, race starts at 11:00
- Date: October 5, 2014
- Location: Fuzzy Guppies on the Seneca-Cayuga Canal
- Location details: Near Waterloo, New York, just off 5&20
- Classes: Most standard NYMCRA classes
- Distance: 13 miles (.5 mile carry x2)
- Course: (Google maps)
- Waterloo, NY (Fuzzy Guppies) west to near Seneca Lake (circle Adventure Island), then back east past Waterloo, carry around the Waterloo lock, paddle to Van Cleef Lake (414 bridge) and back west to Fuzzy Guppies.
- Course Flavor: The entire course is on the Seneca-Cayuga canal, about 30-50 yards wide, with very little current. Course includes a carry around the locks at Waterloo, about 0.5 miles, that racers will do each direction.
This is the application form for the New York Marathon Canoe Racing Association's 200/400 Mile club.
Save a copy (right-click the above link and Save-as). Fill out using Adobe Reader and email it to [email protected]. You MUST return the form no later than October 4th!
There are just a few simple rules to qualify for the club:
- All races are from a single paddling season.
- At least 200 miles must be from New York State Races.
- You must finish the race for it to count.